Declaration made following the IWAS Development Summit
IWAS Development Summit Declaration 2009
IWAS Development Summit Declaration in Bangalore, India 2009
The importance of IWAS as a key strategic partner in the Paralympic movement is hereby acknowledged and recognized and the key role that the IWAS Federation holds in the development of athletes, countries, regions and sports should be further strengthened and reinforced.
The summit identified the following keys areas on which the Federation should focus:
- Support to Nations
- Strengthening of IWAS Brand
- Development of Sports
- Expansion and growth of membership with focus on developing nations
- Attract top athletes
- Provide more competition opportunities
- Develop and manage a knowledge centre
- Improve communication
- Champion clear athlete pathways in the Paralympic movement (calendar, competition and sanctioning)
The Summit acknowledges the lack of resources and capacity as a prohibitive factor to success with the implementation of these key areas.
The summit proposes the establishment of a task team to develop strategies to give effect to the issues raised by nations. A clear detailed action plan must be developed with regular feedback to the membership.